This November, we recognize National Healthy Skin Month as a time to take good care of our skin — not just for beauty, but for health as well. The skin is our body’s largest organ and it protects us from germs and bacteria, helps regulate body temperature, and has a remarkable ability to heal itself.
Because our skin works so hard to protect us each day, it also takes the brunt of our exposure to environmental pollutants and the sun’s harsh rays. Over time, these things can make the skin look older and less vibrant. In addition, heredity and lifestyle factors can play a role in how our skin looks as we age. The skin may lose some of its natural fat below the surface, and gravity causes it to stretch. These factors lead to a less voluminous appearance and more fine lines and wrinkles.
In the past, the only way to correct some of the natural sagging and stretching of the skin was with a surgical facelift. But it still didn’t address the issue of volume loss, which can begin to occur as early as our 20s. Today’s dermal fillers, however, are designed to fill in lost volume and give your face a more plumped, youthful appearance that can last several months or more. A youthful face looks naturally plump and full, so restoring that fullness can give you an immediate boost.
If you’re wondering if dermal fillers might be a good option for you, here are a few facts about them:
- Different fillers have different effects: You’ll want to talk with a cosmetic surgeon about your needs and desired look, and have the best one recommended for you.
- Juvéderm® increases volume by adding hyaluronic acid beneath the surface of the skin: Hyaluronic acid occurs naturally in healthy skin and can decrease lines and deep wrinkles, particularly around the nose and mouth. The enhancements last from several months up to a year.
- Radiesse® adds volume immediately and also stimulates your skin to make more of its natural collagen over the following months: Results can last up to two years.
- Injections of either filler can be done during your lunch break: Minimal side effects occur after dermal fillers are administered so you can go back to work or continue running errands throughout your day.
- Fillers can be used for multiple purposes: They can improve the contours of the face, plump recessed scars, and plump the lips in addition to diminishing wrinkles.
- Fillers are an excellent complement to Botox® Cosmetic therapy: Because Botox works to diminish wrinkles on the upper third of the face and fillers work on the lower portion, doing them together can give you a complete facial rejuvenation with little to no downtime.
To find out if a filler or Botox might benefit you, talk with a cosmetic surgeon about the benefits and your expectations. Giving your face a smoother or more voluminous appearance can be a great way to boost your self-confidence.
GLOW Surgical Arts offers a variety of cosmetic surgery and minimally invasive procedures, such as dermal fillers, to help you look and feel more attractive. Request a free consultation online, or call GLOW Surgical Arts at (650) 241-2209.