Any patient who is considering cosmetic surgery is hoping for the best possible results. Patients want to improve their appearance and have a good experience, both before, during, and after the procedure. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to ensure your surgery goes smoothly and that you get a positive outcome.
These five steps show you how you can successfully see results after your procedure:
- Use a qualified cosmetic surgeon. Your surgeon should have a surgical background focusing on cosmetic enhancement, and should have a medical degree from a reputable university. Many people performing cosmetic procedures don’t have the proper training and background, and you could end up with less desirable results or dangerous complications. Make sure you ask about your surgeon’s expertise and qualifications if you don’t already know, and ask to see before and after photos of the surgeon’s work.
- Have realistic expectations. Cosmetic procedures are designed to help you improve your appearance — to help you be a better version of you. They aren’t meant to make you look like your favorite celebrity or to make you unrecognizable. Know that whatever cosmetic procedure you choose, you should still look like yourself, but be improving upon certain areas or aspects of your appearance to boost your confidence.
- Think about the reasons why you want to have the surgery. Good reasons to have cosmetic procedures include boosting your confidence and feeling great about yourself by improving upon a feature or features you don’t like. Wrong reasons include trying to impress someone else or look like someone else. And if you’ve recently experienced a major life change such as a divorce, death in the family, or another difficulty, you may want to wait until your emotional health has recovered from such an event.
- Listen to the advice of your surgeon. An experienced cosmetic surgeon will have your best interests and safety in mind. Therefore, he or she may have recommendations for you at your pre-surgery consultation. This may include the type of procedure, how it may be performed, and in some cases, patients may be told to delay surgery or not have it at all. The surgeon is recommending these things because he or she wants the best for you. Don’t ignore the advice if you don’t agree with it and try to find another surgeon — you could end up with a result you don’t like or in some cases, it could be unsafe to have the surgery done.
- Talk about recovery before you make a decision. Often, the way you treat yourself after your cosmetic procedure is just as important as the procedure itself. You will need to discuss what you should or shouldn’t do after surgery, how you should prepare yourself, and what you can do to optimize your results. Make sure you know what you need to do, and have the proper time for healing, before you schedule your surgery. These things will vary depending on what you’re having done, but one thing is certain: following your surgeon’s recommendations for recovery will optimize your results and get you back to your life as quickly as possible.
These few steps will take a little time and effort, but your body and your health are worth it.
Interested in undergoing a cosmetic surgery procedure? Learn about the various options offered by GLOW Surgical Arts in our e-book library. Download a free e-book on the procedure of your interest to discover if it would be a good option for you and your body. Or, if you’re ready to talk to a board certified cosmetic surgeon, request a free consultation online, or call GLOW Surgical Arts at (650) 241-2209.