This weekend marks the beginning of summer, and that means more time outdoors, hotter weather, and sunshine. Keeping your skin happy and healthy this summer all comes down to protection. Sunscreen, as you know, is an important part of summer as it can help protect your skin from damaging UV rays and the development of skin cancer.
Before you leave the house this summer, remember these tips for skin care for yourself and your loved ones:
- Apply indoors — Rub sunscreen into your skin 15 to 30 minutes or more before exiting your house to give it time to fully absorb. You can wait for your sunscreen to dry before putting on clothing or a swimsuit to prevent staining.
- Use liberally — You need to apply sunscreen liberally to ensure you get the promised SPF. If you are baring a lot of skin, use a golf-ball sized dollop of lotion for your entire body. For less skin exposure, use a dollop the size of a teaspoon per body part.
- Reapply — It’s not enough to simply apply sunscreen once. You need to reapply lotion every two hours you are outside exposed to the elements.
- Wear on cloudy days — Anytime you leave the house to spend time outside, you should apply sunscreen. Cool, cloudy, and non-beach days can still mean your skin is exposed to UV rays.
- Protect with more — Wearing sunscreen isn’t enough. You should also be wearing sunglasses, a wide-brimmed hat, and clothing to help protect your skin from harmful UV exposure. Don’t rely solely on sunscreen for complete protection.
- Don’t hang out all day — You can burn if you exceed a sunscreen’s maximum protection time, which depends on your sun exposure and skin type. If you normally burn without any sunscreen on after 10 minutes, you should cover up after wearing SPF 30 for five hours. Seek some shade and you’ll hopefully avoid the redness, pain, itching, and peeling.
If you have questions about your skincare regimen for the sun, visit with your doctor to get advice on how to protect your skin and keep it healthy this summer.
GLOW Surgical Arts offers a variety of cosmetic surgery and minimally invasive procedures to help you look and feel more attractive. Request a consultation online, or call GLOW Surgical Arts at 6(650) 241-2209.