Now that you’ve made the decision to have tummy tuck surgery, it’s time to start preparing your body and home for surgery and recovery. Making the necessary preparations ahead of time can allow you to focus on taking care of your body and health to ensure the best surgical outcome, and can make recovery easier and more comfortable for you after you arrive home from surgery.
Here are pre-op checklists you can use to prepare your body for tummy tuck surgery, and to help make sure you have everything ready at home so recovery can be as pleasant and as comfortable as possible.
Preparing your body for tummy tuck surgery
- Stop smoking - Your cosmetic surgeon will ask that you quit smoking at least six weeks prior to having surgery to reduce your risk for complications and to promote faster and more efficient healing.
- Stop taking medications associated with a higher risk for bleeding - Aspirin, some anti-inflammatory medications, and herbal medications could increase your risk for bleeding more than necessary during surgery.
- Drink plenty of water on a daily basis - Keeping your body hydrated can help flush toxins from your body, as well as promote a safe recovery.
- Maintain a healthy body weight - Maintaining your current health and body weight can help ensure your immune system is strong so your body can heal properly following surgery.
- Eat nutritious foods - Consume plenty of healthy whole foods in the weeks and months prior to surgery to strengthen your immune system, such as fruits, vegetables, lean protein, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and low-fat dairy.
- Refrain from eating or drinking after midnight before the day of surgery - Your cosmetic surgeon will provide you with further instruction if needed.
- Take a shower before you go to your appointment - This can keep your body clean and reduce the risk for bacterial infection during tummy tuck surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothes that are easy to put on and take off - Wearing clothes that require you to lift your arms or bend down could rupture incisions and result in pain following surgery.
Preparing your home for recovery from tummy tuck surgery
- Make arrangements for pet and child-care - You may not be able to lift your children for 2-3 weeks after surgery while your incisions heal.
- Make transportation arrangements - You’ll need a friend or family member to drive you to and from tummy tuck surgery.
- Prep your living room and bedroom for recovery - Keep books, magazines, music players, television remotes, snacks, mobile phone charger, and other essentials nearby so you can access them with ease.
- Prepare and freeze meals in advance - Consider stocking up on foods that are gentle on your stomach, such as soup, protein shakes, applesauce, yogurt, oatmeal, and gelatin.
- Gather your favorite soft pillows, and place them on the couch and/or your bed - Pillows can help you stay comfortable and provide you with upper-body support throughout recovery.
- Keep ice packs or frozen packs of vegetables on hand - These items can help reduce swelling in times of discomfort.
Are you interested in having tummy tuck surgery to remove excess skin and fat from your abdominal region? GLOW Surgical Arts offers a variety of cosmetic surgery and minimally invasive procedures to help you look and feel more attractive. Request a consultation online, or call GLOW Surgical Arts at (650) 241-2209.