So, you have gone through all the steps that bring you down to The Big Day the day you have your breast augmentation. Its been quite a path, hasnt it? Thinking about it, digging into the reasons why, doing your research, talking to friends and others, and making the rounds to several consultations to find the fit that works for you.
Youve now made up your mind, and have a surgeon and procedure date lined up. Congratulations, youve done some work to get to this point. Now what? In a word, relax. All should be well if you follow along with a good surgical team and plan.
Here are a couple of things to think about:
- Check out your schedule. Make sure you have a relatively stress-free, low-key couple of days prior to your procedure date. You should definitely take the procedure date off (avoid a morning of work).
- Be sure to take at least 3-4 days off after your procedure. You will have some discomfort for several days, and, though easily managed with pain medicine, you will want to rest and recover.
- Make sure you arrange for transportation to and from the surgery location, in addition to having a companion or loved one with you for the first 24 hours after the procedure.
- Read and review the pre-procedure checklist provided by the surgeon, and follow it as closely as possible.
- Fill any prescriptions ahead of time, and follow any specific instructions regarding body prep, food, drink, and medications.
- Get a good nights sleep before your procedure: avoid caffeine later in the day, skip alcohol, and plan a restful evening.
- Confirm your procedure date and plan with the office, and check again to make sure you have a relatively easy schedule for at least 3-4 days after your procedure.
- Childcare this can be challenging, but plan ahead to use the resources you have at hand to get you (and your family) comfortably through the procedure day and beyond.
- Bring or wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing on the day of your procedure.
Show up on time (or early) for your breast augmentation procedure. If you are going first thing in the morning, things should be on time and move right along. Scheduling your surgery for later in the day introduces the potential for plain old unexpected delays.
At GLOW, we take care of all consents, plans, and financial arrangements prior to the procedure date. When you arrive for your breast augmentation, we have you take some relaxing medicine (by mouth) and then obtain final measurements and photos. We usually start the procedure within one hour of your arrival, and the breast augmentation itself takes about one hour. Once the procedure is complete, well fit you in a supportive bra and dressings, loose, comfortable clothing, and provide a restful environment prior to your trip home. You should be able to head home one hour after your breast augmentation is done. All told, you can be in and out in three hours at GLOW for a routine breast augmentation procedure.
By the way, did we say you will not be driving after your procedure? Dont even think about it!
The medicine we use should wear off within a few hours of your getting home. While you may be tempted to tough it out and avoid taking any pain medicine, you will really should take it as directed. Doing so will allow you to rest an important part of your recovery. We find that taking the pain medicine regularly for 36-48 hours after the procedure makes for pretty smooth sailing.
Get some good rest for the first 24 hours, and take it easy the day after surgery. At GLOW, we have you return in the first several days after your procedure, and generally have you leave the dressings in place until you come to the office for follow-up. You can bathe and keep clean, but discourage showering your breasts until we see you for that first post-op visit. You should be able to eat and drink as you normally would, and do recommend increasing your activity levels day by day as you are comfortable - though you should not do any real lifting with your arms or upper body. Please dont combine alcoholic beverages with the pain medicine, though!
Your first post-op visit will take place within several days of your procedure. Our goal here is to check in, change any dressings, examine the breasts, address any questions or concerns you may have, and review the post-op plan for the first couple of weeks. This will be your first time seeing your newly augmented breasts exciting stuff!
Ill cover the post-op period in more detail in the next installment of this series. If you would like to learn more about breast augmentation at GLOW Skin Revived, dont hesitate to contact us, or feel free to schedule your complimentary consultation.
© GLOW Skin Revived and GLOW Skin Revived blog, 2011-2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blogs author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to GLOW Skin Revived and the GLOW Skin Revived blog, with appropriate and specific direction to the original content